Communications + Operations Internship
Union Square Main Streets (USMS) is an established nonprofit organization that works collaboratively to actively support a vibrant neighborhood by preserving the character and advancing the economic strength of the Union Square business district and community.
This is a particularly exciting time to work with USMS. The City of Somerville is partnering with residents, businesses, and property owners to shape the Square’s future in a way that will preserve the unique character of the Square while taking advantage of new and emerging industries, increasing demand for housing, and the arrival of the Green line. USMS works closely with everyone involved in these planning efforts.
USMS is currently focused particularly on partnering with local businesses to help them respond to these changes and to expand their customer base and revenue. USMS also works with businesses to create events to attract nearby workers, neighbors, and visitors to shop and spend time in the Square.
A USMS intern plays an integral and multi-faceted role in the operations of USMS. This internship grants the opportunity to expand your knowledge and gain skills related to urban, strategic, and community planning; event operations and logistics; communications; small business development; and marketing and social media outreach. Though eligible for credit, this is an unpaid position, involves the use of your personal computer, and is for 10-20 hours per week.
Responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Research tools to make the USMS website and e-newsletters multilingual
- Implement viable multilingual communication tools
- Work relating to strategy, content, messaging, and delivery for USMS, neighborhood businesses, and local events through the following medium:
- Social media, particularly Facebook and Twitter, some Instagram
- Supporting events and meeting logistics
- Administrative and operational tasks
- Preparing or reviewing reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to problem solve, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Detail oriented and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills, including Google Drive
- A high degree of personal and professional integrity