Deadline: Friday, March 2, 2018
2018 Union Square Farmers Market
Union Square Farmers Market plays an integral role in the Union Square community. It serves as a catalyst for vibrancy, community, and economic activity in Union Square. The Market provides visitors with top-quality fresh produce at fair prices, encourages values of healthy eating and active lifestyles, educates the consumer about farming and locally-produced foods, and provides customers with the opportunity to directly interact with farmers. It also provides information and education about community issues, promotes local activities and businesses, and provides opportunities for the community to gather and visit.
If you are interested in being a part of this wonderful community, APPLY NOW!
I. Application deadline for ALL Vendors: Friday, March 2 ,2018
II. Location & Times: The Market is open every Saturday at Union Square Plaza, Somerville, MA. Extended season will open on May 12. Standard season will begin June 2 and end the Saturday before Thanksgiving (November 17). Hours of operation are 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Vendors must commit to selling for an entire market day. The market is open rain or shine!
NOTE: On September 22, 2018, Farmers Market will close at 12:00 p.m. for Fluff Festival.
III. Vendor Fee: ALL vendors must pay a $10 non-refundable application fee plus...
- May Season Vendor (May 12 - May 26): $135 per booth space
- Season Vendor (June 2 - November 17): $1,250 per booth space
- Bi-weekly Vendor (every other week from June - November): $625
- Guest Vendor: $70 per market
- Community Group: Free
IV. Management: Managed by Union Square Main Streets (USMS) with Tiffany Leung as Market Manager. Market Vendor Advisors are Tommy Nicewicz from Nicewicz Family Farm and Marie Hills from Kimball Fruit Farm.
● May Season Vendor: A vendor who is committed to attending the Farmers Market every Saturday in the month of May.
● Season Vendor: A vendor who is committed to attend the Farmers Market every Saturday, from June 2 through November 17.
● Bi-weekly Vendor: A vendor who is committed to attending the Farmers Market every other Saturday, from June through November. Start date will be determined by the Market Manager.
● Guest Vendor: A specialty vendor who is committed to the market on a day-to-day basis.
● Community Group: Includes local non-profit (501c3) organizations, government entities, and other groups with a community-focused mission.
If you organization/company does not fit any of the vendor descriptions above, please contact Market Manager, Tiffany Leung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I. Local: Products must be 100% local as defined as Massachusetts and any contiguous state. Products must be 100% grown and produced, meaning that all products offered for sale by the vendor must be grown and produced by that vendor, and not by a supply farm or from any other source. USMS reserves the right, if unsuccessful in recruiting a farm for specialty products, such as cheese or fish, to recruit an agent to bring these products to the market.
II. Quality: All products must be of top or grade A quality. Any seconds or canners may be offered but must be labeled as such. USMS reserves the right to ban any inferior products from the sale area.
All vendors, including returning vendors, must apply. Returning vendors will be given priority, but there is no guarantee of acceptance. Any incomplete application will not be taken into consideration.
The final selection of vendors is based on the determination of which vendor would best serve the Union Square community, and provide the right quality and variety of products. Accepted vendors will be notified by mid-March.
If a vendor is unable to attend the market on any given week, he or she must call the Market Manager by the Friday before at 2:00 p.m. There will be no reimbursements for absences. Absences negatively affect the market and may result in loss of selling space. Unexcused absences will result in a fine of $75.
RAIN OR SHINE; CANCELLED MARKETS
The Union Square Farmers Market is open rain or shine. Please be prepared for all weather conditions. In the case of severe and dangerous weather conditions, the closing of the market will be determined by the Market Manager and announced the Friday before at 4:00PM, at the latest.
All vendors shall provide their own tents, tables, and other equipment. Vendors should set up, display, and package products in a way that protects such products from outdoor elements. No rubbish, or personal belonging of any sort shall remain on the ground. Vendors must ensure their physical set-up is safe and hazard-free for all market participants.
PLASTIC BAG BAN
As of September 1, 2016, retail establishments in the City of Somerville, including all Farmers Market vendors, will no longer be permitted to give customers plastic, single-use shopping bags at the checkout point.
Per the ordinance, the following bags are exempt:
- Bags, whether plastic or not, in which loose produce or products are placed by the customer to deliver such items to the point of sale or checkout area of the retail establishment or booth space;
- Bags used to contain or wrap frozen foods, meat or fish, whether prepackaged or not, to prevent or contain moisture;
If a vendor is found to be non-compliant, the first violation will result in a warning. Subsequent violations will carry a fine: $50.00 for the second offense, $100.00 for the third and higher offense. City inspectors will make occasional visits to the Farmers Market.
CODE OF CONDUCT
All market participants, including vendors and customers should work cooperatively with Market Manager and USMS staff. By agreeing to participate in the market, all vendors agree to comply with the following Code of Conduct and consent to the enforcement of same by USMS as provided herein:
- Verbal and physical abuse, including slander and libel, is prohibited.
- Firearms are strictly prohibited.
- Behaviors that disparage another participant or actions that unnecessarily interfere with other participants’ set-up, sales, activities, or any other action that the Market Manager determines to be uncooperative in nature towards another participant or management is prohibited.
- Vendors are prohibited from personal attacks or making false accusations about the USMS staff and/or other vendors at the Farmers Market through business or personal social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Vendors are prohibited from using or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol while in attendance at market.
- Vendors are prohibited from smoking within market boundaries.
- Vendors shall not engage in any behavior not appropriate for a public setting, including, but not limited to, use of obscene or abusive language and/or physical violence.
Market Manger and USMS are authorized, at their discretion, to issue warnings, suspensions, and/or immediate revocation of market participation to vendors, customers, or other market participants for failure to comply with any of these market policies.
Violations may include, but are not limited to:
- Any violation of Code of Conduct (see above)
- Committing unlawful or violent acts
- Selling any product which is not grown or produced by the participating vendor
- Misrepresentation or omission on the vendor application
- Selling any product that was not included as part of the vendor application
- Lack of appropriate, inaccurate, or misleading signage or signage that does not confirm to requirement of this policy
- Failure to pay applicable vendor fees as due
USMS is not responsible for the arrangement made between any vendor and any customer. No warranty of any sort, expressed or implied, is made by USMS, City of Somerville, or Market sponsors or funders on behalf of the vendors or the market.
Each vendor is responsible for his/her own compliance with any applicable local, state, or federal laws and regulations.
USMS may, at any time, modify or add to the market rules and policy and USMS may interpret, define, clarify and enforce its rules and policy at its sole discretion. Any such decision will be binding upon all parties. USMS may occasionally make exceptions to market rules and no such exception shall limit USMS’s rights with respect to future enforcement. Prior approval by market vendors and other participants is required.
FARMERS MARKET RULES & POLICIES
We ask that all prospective vendors take the time to review the full Rules & Policies document. Vendors will be asked to sign an agreement as part of the application.
Vendors may apply online or by paper. Both options will be accepted.
$10 non-refundable application fee is required from ALL vendors.
If you pay online (via credit card), you will charged a 5.9% service fee ($10 + $0.59 = $10.59).
To avoid the service fee, please pay by check. All checks must be made out to Union Square Main Streets and mailed to: Union Square Main Streets, Attn: Tiffany Leung, PO Box 1, Somerville, MA 02143